Sunday 16 October 2011

Sloe Gin season!

Yes, it has come upon me again.  After foraging at my friend Sallys a few weeks ago (her blackthorn hedge carefully cordoned off from the contractors clearance - thank you!), and having washed and frozen said sloes, today is the day!

Last years batch was made with dried sloes and was not as rich and fruity as the year before, so I am going to recycle some of it into this years brew (more hunting around in the garage).

However, the gin making has to take it's place in the queue behind the crabapple jelly and mustard pickle which will be first off the line this morning.  It's been a real autumn harvest weekend - jelly, relish, pickle, cakes, apple compote and tomato pasta sauce for freezing.  But that will be it for me for the season now. I've run out of both jars and freezer space!

No comments:

Post a Comment