Thursday 20 October 2011

Abuzz with figures... and java.

Many of my friends would be surprised to hear that I am the Treasurer of an urban fly fishing club.  In fact they may fall down laughing.  I'm not normally known for my perspicacity with figures. However, many years of running my own small business accounts (and half a brain) qualified me for the role.  And generally it's not a hard one, check a few statements, write a few cheques, a bit of online banking etc etc.  More or less the same as my household accounts.

However, once a year I have to prepare the annual accounts for the AGM and it is a time fraught with  anxiety. Armed with a calculater, piles of reciepts and bank statements and a half completed accounts spreadsheet, I start on the task this week. Oh, and copious coffee - a rather turbo charged approach, in the hopeful expectation that it will sharpen my calculations.

Actually, it wasn't too bad, until I hit the final stretch and discovered a surplus 13p appeared on the bottom line.  No matter how many times I go through the spreadsheet, recalculate, tick things off, add columns up, divide by 3 blah blah blah, this unwanted 13p turns up on the total. It's got me stumped. I am now cross-eyed from peering through the figures (actually the coffee hasn't helped me here).  Time to put it away for a while and see if I can bury 13p in the cost of materials tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment