Monday 30 July 2012

Tofulicious

As I get older, I find large quantities of meat more and more difficult to digest.  Especially when seared, brown and crispy (yum but gives me a sore tum!).  In search of other protein offerings (aside from fish, eggs and dairy, the main alternatives to date) I once again cast my eye on Tofu.

Now my experiences with tofu in the past were not spectacular. Bland and jelly like, bland and slightly less jelly like, bland and done to the unappealing texture of a foam scourer. I never really got the appeal of it. I think I once had a tasty tofu burger drenched in satay sauce, but in truth, it was the satay sauce that sold me on it.

So I did a quick trip to the supermarket today, to stock up on the stuff and give it a whirl. Ummm, you can tell I am a novice.  I had no idea where to find it, but eventually spotted it in a vegetarian corner tucked behind the gluey looking ready meals. There wasn't a huge choice, but I thought I would try a basic block, cut it in 3 and experiment over the next few days.

I got it home and opened the pack.  Not an auspicious sight. It sat there pallidly in it's liquid and flobbered at me. But I had looked up a recipe on the internet and was determined to give it a try.  The recipe involved crumbling tofu into a mix of beaten egg, chopped spring onions, grated courgette and lots of ginger/chilli/garlic - thus creating a fritter mix ready to fry. Which I did, in a little coconut oil.  So far so good.  Served them up browned and crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, with an additional side of peri peri sauce (I was going to get some flavour into these suckers if it killed me).

And blow me down, they were lovely, spicy and light and more importantly, eminently digestible. Quite looking forward to the marinated tofu I'm planning for tomorrow. Am now planning further ahead, even further into the depths of veganism. Yes, next stop Quorn....

No comments:

Post a Comment