Tuesday 29 May 2012

Thirst

One week into the hot weather and the garden, which has received record breaking levels of rain through April and early May, is now starting to feel thirsty.

Of course with a hosepipe ban in place, watering has just gotten a whole lot harder. I have some legal drip irrigation in one small part of the garden, but the rest is going to be me, a couple of watering cans and 4 water butts (I just installed another two).

I now find myself getting home at night and watering pots in the dark.  Or getting up early and having a scout around before 7am. The bigger garden beds are just going to have to look after themselves as I am only barely keeping up with the pots and greenhouse. And the water level in the butts is lowering rapidly.

So here I am praying for those showers they promised this week. Cue: raindance on the back lawn. Now there's a thought - entertainment for next doors' Polish builders I suspect. Oh yes, just at the time when grabbing a few rays out in the garden is looking appealing, the building crew next door are up ladders and on the roof and all privacy is gone. Ho hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment