Wednesday 6 June 2012

Jubilation

Well, the long weekend that celebrated a 60 year reign for the lovely Liz is over (is that my OBE going down the gurgler?) Wet in places, with dry patches - it could have been worse considering the number of outdoor events planned, and this is Britain after all...

You couldn't pay me to go into town to celebrate and observe the festivities first hand, however I saw a lot from the dry and comparative comfort of my couch (hot tea, snacks, a loo within easy reach and a stagger up the stairs to bed afterwards). No traffic nightmares for me....

I did partake of 2 street parties - 1 wet and 1 dry.  The dry one (which was round the corner from me) benefited from the weather and was a pleasant event.  A nice setting on a patch of green under a large tree, good 'ladies - a plate' food and byo grog, gentle activities for the kids (face painting, circus school for littlies), old photos up on the fence showing pics from VE day celebrations on the same spot and maps where local residents stuck pins in to indicate their national origins (quite a diverse international bunch in my area - and met another 3 kiwis).

Most of the locals I know were there and I met at least as many again.  I should walk round the area more often - I just don't seem to run into them in the day to day. A few of us decided we should make this an annual event - a summer party. I wouldn't mind helping out next year you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment