Tuesday 6 December 2011

Matakana Markets

Yes, there has been a gap between postings.  In the interim, I have flown to NZ to spend 6 weeks with the family. And I expect the upcoming weeks posts will have a distinctly NZ flavour.  The first certainly has...

After hopping (or crawling) off a 27 hour flight having developed a heavy cold and hacking cough, I spent most of my first week in Auckland curled up under a rug on my brothers sofa watching informercials and chat shows on TV (note - daytime freeview in NZ is dire).

However, I was starting to feel human by Saturday morning and the 3 of us drove north to Matakana for the craft and farmers markets.

And what a lovely morning that ended up being.  Apart from the glories of an artisan market that sold delicious breads, sausages, cheeses etc (including the half dozen oysters on the half shell for the equivalent of 3 quid - I decided it's never too early in the morning for oysters), the coffee was wonderful, the setting was beautiful and the people friendly.

The proximity to craft shops, delis and cafes made it all the better.  We spent far too much money, did some pre Xmas shopping and headed home in the afternoon, anticipating an evening picnic in the garden with an accompanying  Sauvignon Blanc.

Overall, a less 'gritty' experience than some of the London markets, but made up for in spades by the lovely river setting. Aiming to drop by again when I return to Auckland in January...

No comments:

Post a Comment