Tuesday 27 December 2011

Post Xmas shopping

The thing I like about post Xmas shopping is that it's all for me! Before Christmas, I am spending all my mental, physical and financial energy on others. But come the Boxing Day sales, I'm revved up and ready to go...

This year, In Napier, we have had utterly beautiful, hot sunny days since pre-Xmas. Wandering through the pedestrian mall in town in sunshine delivers such a cheerful shopping experience, especially when it's punctuated by iced coffees in the sunshine and a quick drive around the waterfront on the way home.

My focus in these sales seems to have been shoes, or rather, sandals -  five pairs at the last count. I have also done a thriving trade in coasters (especially vaguely Frenchified tile ones) and a couple of voluminous snuggly wraps for bed or sofa. I topped up on summer tops too. And books.  Of course, on the clothes side, I shall have to wait another 6 months or so in the UK to get any real wear out of them, but I am parading around in them here for the next couple of weeks anyway.

And of course, my time in NZ is simply flying away - only another fortnight to go.  Mum is getting emotional already and I can't figure out where the last 4-5 weeks have gone. I'm now trying to fit in a few few excursions which I haven't mustered the energy for until now - the long walk up the hill behind Taradale, a spin around a few vineyards and afternoon tea at the Mission. Went and visited the grandparents graves this afternoon and put new flowers up there - I try to do that every time I'm home. The Wharerangi cemetary is a lovely peaceful, park-like place on the hill. Not a morbid trip at all on a sunny day.

So the count down is on, the shopping is done and I'm removing all cards from my handbag until I leave. Time to start checking the daily temperatures in London and preparing for the chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment