Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Road to Hay

The Hay on Wye literary festival is fast approaching. And a small group of us are heading up this year accompanied by one energetic child and one bouncy dog. After some angst, we managed to book a cottage on the River Wye, where I stayed 3 years ago - no mean feat in the last minute scramble for accom that is Hay...

I have been Ticketmeister this year.  And looking back now, maybe I could have done this better. As it is, I have managed to book an eclectic mix of events - more low brow than highbrow I think.

On the high brow side, is VS Naipaul - a special request from my very gorgeous and literary PR/journo 'sista'.

Mid brow we are looking at Henning Mankell of Wallendar fame. I am completely immersed in twisted Scandi crime fiction right now, so that was my special treat. I will also put Brian Cox in the mid brow range - this reflects my own personal conflict between the Wonders of the Universe and the Wonders of Brian Coxs' boyish grin (bum).

After that I slip into the Low brow celeb zone. Yes, Rob Lowe - it must be done if you were alive and kicking in the eighties. Followed by Nigella Lawson - well, I am a bakey cakey kind of gal. And Paul O'Grady who is just a laugh, although I may donate those tickets to my accompanying boy pals who may get more out of it than me...

So, once more into bunfight that is Hay in festival. Am packing a squishy fold up bag for book purchases. And an emergency box for the cottage - good red wine, OK wine, whatever has been sitting in the booze cupboard untouched for the last year, good coffee, paracetamol, something stronger than paracetamol (just in case), and cornflakes/DVDs and dog treats/chew toy to keep the younger and bouncier members of our party quiet in the morning.....

No comments:

Post a Comment