Wednesday 18 May 2011

A boat with wheels..

I was back in NZ in March and spent a day hanging around my old haunts - Cheltenham beach in Devonport is always a fave, a lovely, sheltered bay looking out over Rangitoto Island. The tide was very low, a few people had waded out towards the channel and were flying kites over the water, a couple of mums were walking their baby buggies along the sand and a lovely old lady with saggy tights sat on the bench beside me for a chat.

And then this strange contraption chuntered up from the channel and into the shallows. It stopped at the margin where the shallows began, rolled down some wheels and drove up onto the beach.  A couple of guys hopped out, walked around and inspected the boat, talked a while and then jumped back in and drove back into the drink.

I know I'm not very maritime, but I had never seen this before and find it quite ingenius. Are these boats commonplace?  What a great idea...I want one....

No comments:

Post a Comment