Wednesday 13 March 2013

To Date or not to Date.

I have just officially given up on internet dating. God only knows, I've had a good crack at it over the last 2 years. But I have come to a few gritty conclusions that now take me down a different path.

1) Internet dating was invented by men and designed around their shopping behaviours. That is, make a check list of what you want and work through this comprehensively with the profiles you view on line. A very rational, deconstructionist approach. Has own money? Tick. Come hither smile? Tick. Tight bum? Tick. Fifteen years younger? Tick. Will look past my pot belly and grizzly dental work? Tick. You get the picture.....About as heart warming and inspiring as a trip to the plumbing supplies wholesaler.

2) Well, we all lie on line don't we? 75% of the men I have met up with have lied about their age - sometimes to the tune of 10-15 years. They are entirely unapologetic about it and justify it by announcing that they feel so much younger that their real age so it doesn't count. Believe me, it counts.

3) Men's manners go right out the window when they perceive they have an endless array of women to choose from. Emailing/texting or talking on the phone, I mean it's not like talking to a real person, right? I find myself fielding incredibly personal questions and fending off sleazy/puerile innuendo before we've even met. I would never carry out these conversations with someone I met through friends, or work or in day to day activities. 

I give up. I'm just going to have to get out and about a bit more. Men are so much nicer in the real world.....

No comments:

Post a Comment