Friday 8 March 2013

Dolbell Reserve

I was feeling a bit nostalgic for the Dolbell Reserve today.  This is a lovely park reserve comprising a high grassy hill ridge, with a stretch of tree dotted park and picnic area at the bottom and a forest walk up one side connecting it to the summit. It rises up behind my parents suburb in Napier and can be seen for miles. The sun hits it in the mornings and the dry, yellowed grasses seem to glow in the early light.


It's a lovely hill to look up towards in the mornings over your tea and toast, but over the 2012 Xmas break I also went for a couple of early morning walks up there (some exercise before the heat of the day set in). It really is a magical spot - and it makes me think what a numpty I am for not having made that walk a more regular event.

With the folks moving away from the area within the next couple of months, I'm realising this familiar landmark won't be within easy reach any more on my trips back, and it  makes me a bit sad. Typically, you don't appreciate these familiar places until you lose them.

Never mind.  This hill is special and will always hold a place in my heart and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment