Monday 3 September 2012

Autumn around the corner

I'm back from my short summer holiday, and Autumn is breathing over my shoulder. The day length is shortening and the night temperatures cooling.  Next doors plums that hang over my fence, have been and gone.  The tomatoes in the greenhouse are looking scruffy and while still prolific, I can see the end of their run coming soon. And I actually had some goosebumps in the cool breeze while taking a sunbathing break in the sun the other day.

 The end of season sales are almost done too, and shops are now full of winter season clothes, not that that's stopped me hoovering up a few last gasp bargains in the last few days (refer catalogue pic although imagine a dumpy blonde wearing the jeans, vivid shirt and a matching blue cotton cardie...).

Where did summer go? All that investment in water butts, ready for the heatwave, was largely wasted although I am being a good little greenie and using rainwater in the garden where possible.

An autumn menu sounds appealing.  I dredged out some of last years frozen damsons the other day and made a flaky tart out of half, and a puree out of the rest (gorgeous for breakfast with greek yoghurt). And I am off to see a friend in the country next week to raid her new seasons damsons - some may find their way into a spot of gin...yum yum...

No comments:

Post a Comment