Thursday 9 August 2012

Vitamin D

I am a blonde with a natural pallor. Growing up in NZ (where there is a gigantic hole in the ozone layer, making our sunshine particularly fierce) I have always had the 'just cover up' message hammered into me. And looking at middle-aged Australian and Kiwi women with alligator complexions after years of sunbathing, well, it just seemed like the sensible thing to do.

However, last year I was shoved onto a variety of supplements by the doc after a somewhat unimpressive blood test.  Apparently my Vitamin D levels were through the floor, and she actually suggested that I start to get some sun.

So this summer (variable though it may be) I have taken to the odd half hour out on the sun lounger, baring unfamiliar bits of myself to those rays. I may not be going brown very quickly, but I think I am starting to feel the benefit - even if it is mostly psychological. In fact, I'm starting to resent the overlooking neighbours because I wouldn't mind getting a bit more adventurous in the swimwear department (or lack of it).

However, that isn't going to happen when 3 sets of neighbours have the ability, if not the inclination, to overlook my back garden. So will keep working on my mini tan and see how it develops - quite an adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment