Monday 2 April 2012

Thoughts on Red Roses

I don't mean to sound ungrateful.  And Lord knows, this isn't a problem that has plagued me throughout my life. But when men buy you flowers, why do they leap straight into red roses?

A gentleman friend has recently given me 3 bunches, one every time I see him (including one to the door on my birthday). The bunches are definitely getting bigger and more flamboyant and I am running out of vases. And while I appreciate the gesture, red roses aren't really my thing, especially from someone I see more as a fishing buddy than as a paramour. (Yes, I know, clearly a conversation needs to be had.)

The only red rose that I've really taken to was the huge bush of almost saucer sized, fragrant Ingrid Bergmans that grew by my Grandpas front door, and when he gave me some to take home, it was something very special. But in day to day terms I much prefer other flowers - pink or yellow roses, freesias, lilies, delphiniums, lime green chysanthemums, tulips, daffodils, orchids, proteas, or anything in season etc etc - get the picture?

I hate to sound ungrateful, and I understand the significance of the gesture, but it would be nice if blokes could be a little more creative about their choices.  And also take some of the  'red roses for romance' pressure off....


No comments:

Post a Comment