Thursday 21 July 2011

Pigeon Post

As I sat ruminating over my coffee this morning, I looked outside to the 2 fat, healthy wood pigeons, regular visitors to my garden, conversing together on the line. While he was eager, she was giving him the hairy eyeball, saying 'not on your life mate!'

They really do seem like a middle aged couple - quite a soap opera at times.  I am not a great fan of pigeons, but this Mr and Mrs are welcome visitors (although they tend to poo down the fence, and occasionally, on the freshly painted decking). Yes -  two plump, conventionally minded suburban birds who tolerate my presence (while not encouraging it.) 

Quite a contrast to their inner city cousins.  I do feel sorry for these wretched, scraggy, diseased things, but I find them quite repellent, limping round as they do, fighting over scraps and moulting copiously. And of course, looking to their country relatives, they are different again. Bigger I think. More nervy creatures, hanging out in large groups - possibly with one eye out for the hunters gun.

I'm sure there is an epic story in this. A Watership Down vibe....

No comments:

Post a Comment