Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Great Defrost

What is it with me and cold appliances? I went to check out something in my trusty, garage based upright freezer this morning, to find that I had somehow left it ajar in the weekend.  Result? It had gone into overdrive, completely icing up around the works, and almost all the food had defrosted and was sitting in puddles.

All the blackberries I had carefully picked and frozen last season, had defrosted and leaked their purple juices down through the shelves, pooling at the bottom and dribbling out onto the garage floor through the crack in the door.

So I'm now in overdrive.  Everything was still at fridge temp, so I've gone into a meat cooking frenzy - 2 roasts in the oven and about 4 dozen sausages currently parboiling and about to hit the barbeque. Am psyching myself up to a level of meat eating over the next few days, that Atkins himself would be proud of. The rest can be refrozen after cooking. 

But in the meantime, a full, extra large binbag of unrecoverable food has had to hit the bin (literally 10 mins after this weeks rubbish collection - my luck). A big clean up job awaits...

No comments:

Post a Comment