Monday 15 April 2013

Barrow of Glory

In celebration and commemoration of my significant birthday last month, I decided to donate a barrow to the Wandle Trust river clean up crew. 

However, I felt that it needed some appropriate personalisation and thusly, found myself on the day before it's inaugural launch at the April cleanup, nipping in and out of the garage in the cold and wet, painting red kiwis along one side and blue swirly water along the other. All in completely inappropriate paint that seemed to need 4 coats and will probably get scraped off within the first 3 outings. 

But it was good to see it in action for the first time yesterday - a cleanup on the river in Wandsworth, on the first really Springlike day we have experienced this year. How lovely was it sitting in the sun without a coat or scarf! How blue was the sky? How yellow were the daffs and forsythia out of my garden?

I had an enthusiatic surge of baking for the crew. 55 people, 40 slices of brown sugar rhubarb cake, 4 dozen freshly baked muffins - strawberry/cinnamon and apricot/oat/honey, and 4 dozen fruity/seedy flapjacks. and not one piece of anything was left at the end of the day. I came home with half a flask of cooling coffee. Better for the hips I suppose....

No comments:

Post a Comment