Wednesday 20 February 2013

Where Sheep do Roam (on Roads)

With my NZ sheep farming background, I like sheep and have been thinking today of things Ovine. My recent trip to the Peak District had me wandering around the Chatsworth grounds on a beautiful sunny (if crisp) winters day. Sheep were happily grazing in the sunshine.  It also happened that they were thronging on the estate roads like drunken youths on a Friday night.

It soon became clear that the estate team had been assiduously salting/gritting the roads against ice, perhaps not realising that sheep love nothing more than a good salt lick... It was hilarious to see them all with their heads down licking the roads en masse while traffic backed up in both directions. Fearless, they were.

It contrasted with my recent mid summer NZ trip and the hot dusty Hawkes Bay country roads. A lot of sheep being moved on roads shimmering in 32 degree heat. A lot of slow, patient driving following dogs, quad bikes and flocks of bobbing sheeps bums. I could almost see my 14 yr old self following on foot, flapping her arms and going Shooossshhh shooossshhh til they were though the gates. Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment