Monday 30 January 2012

Lovely Wintry England

Maybe it's the 7 weeks of summer I spent in NZ over Nov/Dec/Jan.  But coming back this time, I realised I had been away long enough to really miss England.

The last couple of weekends I have had long drives through the countryside - last weekend down to the coast, and this weekend, through Surrey.

And I've been in a happy place - just loving the winter countryside. For a start, in winter you can actually see the fields and hills because the hedgerows have died back. And a bit of frosty light and mist lying low to the ground  just softens the landscape. The twilight seems ethereal and the trees stand out starkly highlighted against the sky.

And on the coast it was bracing to walk to the Hastings waterfront in the gusty sunshine and showers, watching the choppy sea at high tide chucking itself onto the stony beach.

Enough of the bucolic scenery......  I'm also loving the chill - the scarves, hot chocolates/coffees to warm up and a sticky Sunday roast and a hot pud at the end of my drive. With the temperatures plummeting this week, I think it's time to haul the firewood out of the garage and get the woodburner going....

No comments:

Post a Comment