Saturday 13 August 2011

Enough of the baking...

Crikey, it's been a fortnight since I posted anything. But I have a good excuse - I have been a slave to my kitchen... How did I get here?  I never used to bake much - the odd birthday and Xmas cake, that kind of thing. 

And then about 4 years ago I baked a cake for the volunteers at a charity river clean up.  It went down gangbusters.  And ever since, I have baked regularly for the growing numbers of volunteers and increasingly for friends and family too.

Last week was my biggest challenge - baking for aroung 130 people a day, for 4 days.  I was manning the refreshments at a large corporate cleanup, and feeding this many people was relentless.  By the end of the week, I was in a heap on the floor and my kitchen was in extreme disarray.  After 350 cheese scones and the equivalent of 24 cakes, I had baked myself to a standstill. (I would be happy if I never saw another cheese scone in my life.)

Have recovered a bit since then. Whipped out a birthday cake and some cupcakes and slice for another river event.  Would really like a good long break though. I can see a kitchen strike approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment